Monday, June 6, 2011

hallelujah!

for the first time since my accident, i feel like i will be okay. only now with this new feeling do i realize that i had come to believe that i wouldn't be okay and that everything i felt or thought was affected by this underlying fear.

i had the manipulation procedure on friday - the doctor bent my knee while i was under anesthesia to break through the scar tissue that was stopping my knee from bending more than 60 degrees. it worked! i can now bend my knee a little past 100 degrees (90 being a sitting position). i've been showing it off to anyone who asks about my knee. i was so excited to go to physical therapy today and so looking forward to demonstrating the change to my physical therapist that i couldn't sleep last night.

even until the night before the procedure, i wondered if i could break through the scar tissue if i pushed myself further. i sat on a chair in the living room pressing down on my knee down with my hand until the pain made me cry and i tasted metal. a few hours earlier the woman who i sat next to on the bus pointed her finger at me and repeated twice, "what did YOU do?"after i told about the upcoming manipulation. she said that the reason i couldn't bend my knee further and needed this procedure was b/c i had failed. she went on to tell me that after her knee was replaced, she bent her knee immediately. her doctor even brought his residents to see her to demonstrate a patient who had recovered "101%." i don't think it mattered to her that we had had different injuries and surgeries and that i wasn't allowed to bend my leg for 8 weeks. for a moment, my spirit sank b/c she was confirming the very thought that haunts me: that this accident and now my knee not bending is my fault. i recovered from what she said, but the idea of fault sat with me a little bit throughout the night. a few people, when they find out that i fractured my kneecap while mountain biking, have said, "oh! that's great. you were having fun. you controlled the situation," which is the exact opposite of how i think about it. if something had happened to me, i think i would blame myself less. i try to remind myself of what my PT said about my knee not bending: "it's not your fault. it's not my fault. it's just mother nature." while i now believe that about my knee not bending it's harder to accept that about the accident - i went on a ride and then i fell and that feels like fault. 

so i had the procedure and the doctor said the scar tissue band was at 60 degrees, the very point beyond which i couldn't bend. i felt redeemed - there really was a physical obstacle that prevented me from bending. to move forward in my recovery, i had to give up. i had to trust the advice of my PT and my doctor. there were a couple times when i wanted to go into PT for additional sessions, hoping for a breakthrough and needing to prove to myself over and over again that i was trying my hardest, needing this as evidence (in my own personal courtroom of my mind) if i ever wondered, in the future, if i could or should have done more. and my PT told me not to come in, to save my sessions for after the procedure once i could bend. finally i had to accept that i could only heal by giving up and handing my body over. my doctor told me that even under anesthesia i cringed during the procedure, more proof that the scar tissue build-up was significant. he also told me that based on the scar tissue and the size of my still thick external scar, he thinks my body has a tendency to form a lot of scar tissue. thank you body, so grateful for the intention to heal, even if it's overdone. 

while my first post-manipulation PT hurt, it was a completely different type of pain. before, i would often look down at my knee, convinced that there was a brick in front of my knee that prevented the bending - today the invisible brick was gone. i'm sore and stiff and achy but i feel like i can bear the pain and move through it. i'm still scared - paranoid when i wake up in the morning that the scar tissue army might have gathered during the night and that i won't be able to bend. and i don't want to celebrate the bending too much b/c there is still a long way to go. but for today, i'm happy to see my knee bending so, as my friend said when i told her, "hallelujah!"

2 comments:

  1. Aya--I am so happy to read this. I have been thinking about you since we went out and been nervous on your behalf for the manipulation ( which really does sound so cringe inducing). Yay, yay and again YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aya, painful as it is, what you are going through and how you reflect on it is really inspiring. One of my teacher told us recently that all hardships we face are made for us to grow and learn - and that logically, the more advanced you are on your "path" (however you interpret it), the harder the challenges get, because you are now strong enough overcome them. She gave us the example of a close friend of hers, an extremely dedicated meditator, practicing more than 4 hours a day, who just recovered from a kidney transplant and is now facing brain cancer. She said it did not happen by chance, that this terrible disease was put on his way because it is commensurate to his inner strength - and that he will get over it because of that.
    I am sure you will go back fully to yoga in no time - and with added strength and wisdom :)
    Lots of positive thoughts for your recovery. xxx
    Alex

    ReplyDelete